The forest of Leithen was a gift from Alexander II to the monks of new battle Lothian. Leithen lodge, which began originally as Leithen Hopes was built in the 1600s of stone with timber boxed window frames under a slate roof, which is still part of the main house today.

In 1852 John Miller of Edinburgh, a railways engineer purchased Leithen Hopes and it was here it began its grand journey into one of Scotland’s most beautiful historic houses, Leithen Lodge. John Miller added to the original 16th century building by significantly extending the house and adding the first hydro heating system of its time. His daughter, Margaret married George Cunningham and so the Miller-Cunningham family began. Their crest still stands above the door of the main hall today. In 1885-7 the family commissioned Sydney Mitchell to design a new south east wing, while he completely redecorated Leithen Lodge in Scottish renaissance style with Arts and Craft detail and Jacobean panelling.

The detailed plasterwork, carried out by L. Grandison & Son is still beautifully preserved to this day. Hugh Ross and David Lumsden rescued the Lodge from being demolished in 1990s. The Martin family of three generations acquired the house in 2004 and have sympathetically revamped Leithen Lodge house and grounds, retaining the charm and historic splendour of Leithen Lodge, whilst taking it into the 21st Century.